Thursday 13 October 2011

How did we make it out of Regina alive????


Wow!  I can't believe it has been one month and 4 days since we hopped on the plane in Regina and headed towards Australia via L.A. and Hawaii, knowing that as we stepped onto the plane, we still had at least a week's worth of work to do in Regina still before leaving for a one year period.  I can't quite believe what we attempted to accomplish in a three week period before leaving. Starting with August 14th, we managed to:
-decide to rent out our house rather than sell it.  Found a renter in 2 days.  They wanted to move in on August 31.  We realized we had two weeks to move!
-drove to Swift Current and helped Charlotte buy a car
-decided to buy a house rather than having Charlotte rent an apartment.  Bought one on August 21st.
-pack pack pack pack pack pack pack pack pack pack pack panic pack pack panic panic panic
-Moved all big furniture out on August 28th. Stored it all around Regina.  Hoping all of our hiding spots will be unfounded until we get back.
-Move some furniture into Charlotte's new house.  Realize that we are landlords and have no idea how to get tenants.  Buy furniture for bedrooms.
-All of us are still sleeping on the floors of our house trying to clear everything out and find storage space to squish things into.  All of those things that I convinced Andrea I needed to keep when she helped me pack, I was suddenly throwing them away or giving them away or closing my eyes and pretending I didn't know it existed.
-August 31, Day from hell.  We were literally throwing things out our door onto the lawn while the new tenants were standing in the driveway waiting for their moving truck to come.  It was on this day that I knew for sure, we had no idea what we were doing!!!  We had boxes and bags and garbage and recycle and  more boxes all over the grass and up along side the house.  Paul would go one way with a load of stuff in his car, and I went off to the dump and re-cycle, and we would meet again and do it all over again.  By that evening, we were officially homeless.  Thank goodness for Mom and Dads who never tell us if they are tired of their kids staying for ridiculous periods of time.
-Still didn't have our plane tickets yet.  Paul worked on that, and we both commuted from Moose Jaw to Regina to get Charlotte's house in order, moving furniture, stuffing storage into every nook and cranny we could find.  Building furniture, cleaning and emptying boxes and finding tenants and still not sure when we are leaving, but we are pretty sure it will be in the next week!
-Paul still working with the fine folks of Australia to get a working VISA, and the very least, approval of his application.  It has been 9 months since he received a contract, and we still don't know what is going on.  (I'm writing this on the 12th of October, and we still don't know - he was just approved and we still don't know when he starts work!!).  
-Paul has the tickets!  We are leaving on the 8th of September.  Still traelling to Regina everyday to get the house in order, help Charlotte find her classes and get her books and pay her tuition.   Still trying to get my head around being without Charlotte for such a long period of time.
We leave.
In one piece.
The only child left behind is the one who was planning on staying behind.
We made it as far as LA and we collapsed in a tiny hotel room for the night, woke up and saw the sights of LA for a couple of hours.  I was still numb.  No clue where I was or how I got there.  Once we hopped on the plane to Hawaii, I knew the possibility of catching up to my body was possible.  I do believe this trip that Paul has dreamed of for 10 years and we have been preparing for for 2 years, is here!  Let's get this party started!!!

4 comments:

  1. Paul, I am truly jealous of you good fortune and the beautiful pictures of you family, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Maybe one day I'll get down under for a visit, I still think you guys are going to end up living there and never coming back to the wet coast. Ahh, the wet coast where arthritis and bursitis roam and the sniffles play all day and I hope my roof doesn't leak this year. I'm at a new email, if you have time away from Bondi Beach, it's bobelliott128@gmail.com, so when you get a life send us along a little note and I vote you most lucky to be alive right now. Regards Bob Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds insane!!! I just hope it was worth it.
    -Emily (PSS)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stories and pictures! I look forward to following along on your great adventure. We have friends in Tweed Heads, NSW and visited them in 2000, just an hour south of Brisbane. Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound stressful! Hope all is going well now and that you are settling into Australia -- have fun!

    ReplyDelete